Hungary is a country that offers great opportunities and the chance to enjoy a very different lifestyle with one of the many companies based there. It is also an ideal country for people to move to at retirement age, with a diverse mix of culture and countryside. It is therefore not surprising that removals to Hungary have picked up over the last few years.
Hungary is surrounded by seven other nations and lies within Central Europe. It is a small landlocked country with a population of just over 10 million. Despite being part of the EU, Hungary has retained its currency, the forint (sign: Ft; code: HUF).
Budapest is the capital city of Hungary. It remains a top tourist destination and offers a blend of 19th-century culture and modern bars, restaurants, spas and museums. Alongside the cities, Hungary has a stunning countryside. It is ideal to hike, ride or cycle, as well as to swim in the natural lakes.
Hungary is a fascinating country, occupying the spot in Europe where the west meets the east. Here are some little-known facts about the state:
- Although Hungary is landlocked you can still enjoy a day at the beach. Visit Lake Balaton, a body of water which is so large it’s often known as The Hungarian Sea
- They are a nation of quirky inventors; past creations include the Rubik Cube and the biro
- If you touch the pen of the mighty Anonymus statue in Budapest City Park, legend has it that you’ll become a talented writer
- Harry Houdini was born in Hungary
- The nation’s top tipple is Pálinka, a fruit brandy. It allegedly cures everything from headaches to menstrual cramps.
To prepare yourself for the adventure that lies ahead, find out more about Hungary by reading our guide.